Various orthodontists and dentists in South Florida offer youngsters rewards for swapping out their leftover loot from trick-or-treating.
Some of the dentists dole out dollars, often $1 or $2 a pound, for the sugary snacks. Others issue non-monetary incentives.
The Halloween Candy Buyback is a national event. The dropped-off sweets are forwarded to an organization that includes them in packages for military personnel overseas.
Participating dentists and orthodontists set their own rules for when they accept Halloween drop offs, and what they provide in exchange. Some dentists also offer the kids free toothbrushes.
Dentists involved with Halloween Candy Buyback are featured on the website.
These are some of the participating offices listed in South Florida.
- Brian P. Rask, 1 NE 23rd Ave, Suite 2, Pompano Beach, 954-782-1864
- SmileBrighteners, 7752 W. Commercial Blvd., Lauderhill, 954-741-4500
- Journey Kids Dental, 4800 NE 20th Terrace suite 301, Fort Lauderdale, 954-727-9865
- Caponera Orthodontics, 420 NW 5th Street, Suite 108, Plantation, 954-791-6510
- Sawgrass Dental Arts, 5693 Coral Ridge Drive, Coral Springs, 954-757-6644
Photo/Pediatric Dentist Marisabel Olivera, DMD