Riverwalk offers a delightful stretch along the New River in Fort Lauderdale for picnicking, sightseeing & romantic walks. It also serves as a scenic venue for occasional outdoor events, festivals and entertainment.
Riverwalk runs along the river from about Southwest Fifth Street east toward Federal Highway, incorporating Esplanade Park, ideal for an outdoorsy & inexpensive date.
We appreciate Photographer Jason Leidy of Middle River Arts Photography & Director of Photography for Go Riverwalk magazine, offering information about his favorite places for snapshots & sightseeing.
“There’s a bunch of great photo moments on the Riverwalk. On the North Side, the view from the Broward Center steps looking east is tough to beat. There’s… an oversized Adirondak chair just east of Esplanade Park that makes for a good sense of place. I also love the view from the landing at the West side of the Railroad tracks. You’re at a good height to take in the History District. Heading further East is one of the most Instagrammed public works of art in Fort Lauderdale. “Thrive” by artist Daniel Popper is on display at the breezeway of Society Las Olas.
“On the south side of the Riverwalk, some highlights include the view from Stranahan Landing. Looking north across the New River you can see one of the oldest buildings in Fort Lauderdale, the Stranahan House Museum. The views looking west from Smoker Park are another stunning point of view on the canyon of buildings along the river. Moving West, I’m partial to the floating docks in front of the Downtowner. The restaurant has history and a often overlooked alley to it’s East winds through some fun little courtyard moments. Walking the entire length of the North and South Side of the Riverwalk is always different.”
- phone or email to verify when vendor is open
- Riverwalk Recreation offers kayak, standup paddleboard & bicycle rentals, and various tours
- 220 SW 3rd Ave., Fort Lauderdale, 954-526-5159 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Events at Riverwalk include
on hold until further notice — Free Zumba
- 6:30 p.m. Mondays to Fridays, Riverwalk North, 301 SW First Avenue, Fort Lauderdale 33301, donations appreciated, supply your own water
- wear comfortable fitness attire & sneakers supportive for dance movements
- information online or 561-599-1717
Jazz Brunch — on hold until further notice
- jazz Brunch, usually first Sundays 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., with entertainment along different points of Riverwalk, free
Enjoy Other Posts
- February 8 Free Entry for New River Fest in Fort Lauderdale, including fire dancers, food vendors & live music
- Free entry for Riverwalk Chili Cook Off 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. February 22, food tastings for voting are $5 and up
- Free Entry for Pirate Fest @ Esplanade Park on Riverwalk 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. April 11, features family-friendly activities, entertainment and demonstrations