Setting your thermostat to refreshing temperatures indoors when the weather is sizzling outdoors is nice. But it’s not necessarily wallet friendly.
FPL offers some tips for keeping electricity use down during summer, which saves money.
- A/C settings FPL recommends turning the thermostat to 78 degrees or above when residents are in the house and 82 degrees when away
- Fans Use a fan to keep cool so you can raise your thermostat even higher. Remember to turn the fan off when you leave the room
- Drapes Shut drapes to keep sunlight out
- Airflow Maintain proper airflow by keeping interior doors and vents open to help air circulate
- AC Filters Clean or replace your AC filter regularly to help your unit run more efficiently
- Smart Thermostats could save about 3 percent of your total energy costs, approximately $50 a year
- AC units Consider a new high-efficiency air conditioner if yours is more than 10 years old, needs frequent repairs and doesn’t keep your home cool. FPL’s A/C Buying Guide offers information on selecting the right system for your home
- Home Survey: Take FPL’s Online Home Energy Survey for an energy-savings plan tailored for your home. The survey is integrated with your home’s Energy Dashboard so you are able to see just how much energy you use by the hour, day or month.