Plenty of fun things to do with kids in Broward are free and inexpensive. These are some of our favorite free and affordable family-friendly activities in Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Weston & other municipalities in Broward.
Free family-friendly movies
Outdoor movies like “Frozen,” “Spy Kids” and “Rio 2” are offered free in parks in Deerfield Beach, Weston, Hollywood, Pompano Beach and other towns. Some feature food vendors to purchase snacks. Supply your own portable seats or blankets.
Play with high tech gadgets
Creation Station at Broward Library in Fort Lauderdale offers free access to sophisticated computer, robotics and electronics equipment, including a 3D Printer. Hours include 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. most Mondays and Thursdays, 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. most Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. most Fridays and Saturdays, 100 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale, 954-356-7444
Nature hikes, bike paths & playgrounds
- Broward parks offer playgrounds, nature hikes, nature exhibits, bike paths, boat rentals, basketball courts and other amenities. Browse the website for events, activities and features that interest your family. Broward Parks and nature centers are typically free on week days, and some are also free on weekends. For those with fees, the weekend and holiday price is $1.50 for guests ages 6 and older. Some activities are free, others, such as hayrides and s’mores may involve in a fee.
- Fun for youngsters at Splash Pad in Wilton Manors
Free entertainment & activities
- For free entertainment, the town of Weston offers occasional free puppet shows tailored for youngsters. Other venues for free entertainment are Broward libraries, which offer magic shows, story-time activities and projects such as LEGO building. Browse information on the libraries’ page for kids’ and teens activities.
- Funtastic Fridays is a free family-friendly event 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. most Fridays at ArtsPark in Hollywood, featuring entertainment and activities such as a bounce house, face painting and games. ArtsPark is at Hollywood Boulevard at U.S. 1, 954-921-3500
- Kids Bowl Free programs
- Broward Library offers play area for pre-schoolers
Hop aboard a train
Tradwinds Park in Coconut Creek and the Tradewinds and Atlantic Railroad Club in Coconut Creek offer rides on model steam train typically the third weekend of the month. The price is $1.50 for the train, and entry to the park on weekends is $1.50 per person for ages 6 and older. Tradewinds Park is at 3600 W. Sample Road, Coconut Creek 954-357-8870