When kids are out of school on summer break, parents in South Florida appreciate ideas for fun things to do. Especially, if those activities are free. Or offered at an appealing discount.
We’re pleased to offer some nifty suggestions.
Free things to do
- Register for Kids Bowl Free programs in Sunrise & Tamarac
- Free glass-blowing demos in Hollywood Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
- Free family-friendly movies in Hollywood most Fridays
- Plantation Historical Museum always free entry
- Broward libraries. In addition to access to free movies, video games and books, library branches offer a wealth of free activities and entertainment, such as dance parties, art projects and Lego fun. Noteworthy features include online access to books and movies and Creation Station. Read about Broward libraries on the website.
- Broward parks offer playgrounds, nature hikes, nature exhibits, bike paths, boat rentals, basketball courts, water parks and other amenities. Browse the website for events, activities and features that interest your family. Broward Parks and nature centers are typically free on week days, and some are also free on weekends. For those with fees, the weekend and holiday price is $1.50 for guests ages 6 and older. Some activities and amenities are free, others, such as waterparks, involve in an extra fee.
- Funtastic Fridays are free family-friendly events 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. most Fridays at ArtsPark in Hollywood, featuring entertainment and activities such as a bounce house, face painting and games. At 8 p.m. most Fridays, family-friendly films are free at the park. ArtsPark is at Hollywood Boulevard at U.S. 1, 954-921-3500
- Free surf, skimboard and paddleboard lessons in Deerfield Beach most Saturdays
- Kids build free LEGO project at LEGO stores in Sunrise & Aventura first Tuesdays and Wednesdays of the month
Inexpensive things to do & deals
- Dive-in movie in Tamarac, $3.50 & $4 August 26
- Discounts for exciting dinosaur exhibit at Flamingo Gardens
- Waterparks & water playgrounds in Broward
- $7 roller skating Wednesdays in North Lauderdale & Davie
- Discounts at 2 movie theaters in Broward Tuesdays
- 2-for-1 summer deals for attractions, activities, restaurants & more in Broward
- Kids eat free deals at restaurants in South Florida
- Groupon deals for trampoline fun, laser tag & other indoor activities in South Florida
- Tri-Rail in South Florida offers $5 all-day fares on weekends, free for kids ages 4 and younger
- Farm tours with barnyard animals at Tradewinds Park weekends, weather permitting, $3 (not including weekend park entry fees, which are $1.50 for ages 6 and older)
Other family-friendly and budget-friendly things to do
- Free music performances Fridays at Fort Lauderdale beach, March to November
- Free events with food trucks in Broward, including week nights
- Play trivia at restaurants & bars in Broward
- Free live music performances at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach most Saturdays and Sundays
- Open-air bandshell on Hollywood beach offers free music performances, weekends and some week nights
- Free entry to ArtServe art gallery in Fort Lauderdale
Other summer events