For fun, free outdoor excursions, lots of people delight in watching & identifying birds on nature walks in local parks.
If you’re interested in birdwatching, Broward Library & Broward Parks department offer resources.
Broward Library is loaning out backpacks with equipment for birdwatching.
Parks naturalist Sierra Taliaferro offers some information on the activity.
“All birds are interesting to watch,” Sierra says. “Some are more active and vocal, while others are very dainty and quiet.”
The songs & sounds are also interesting.
Northern cardinals sound like a laser gun, Sierra says. Blue Jays sound like a car alarm, “because they mimic sounds around them in their environment.”
Broward Library’s birdwatching backpacks include
- binoculars, 1 for grown-up & 1 for youngster
- guidebook on Florida birds
Birdwatching Backpacks are on loan from various library branches. If your favorite library doesn’t stock them, please request the staff order it for you for pick-up.
For borrowing backpacks, you’ll need your library card, which is free for eligible residents.
Information about Broward libraries is online.
- September 18, 9 a.m. Bird Watching for Beginners, Markham Park, 16001 W. State Road 84, Sunrise 33323, 954-357-8868, $5 with weekend park entry fee of $1.50 per person for ages 6 & older, phone for registration
Plenty of parks offer natural areas perfect for nature walks & birdwatching, including
- Fern Forest, features several nature paths, including its elevated boardwalk into cypress/maple swamp, 201 Lyons Road South, Coconut Creek 33063, 954-357-5198, free entry & free parking, read our feature Nature Trails & Free Entry at Fern Forest in North Broward
- Secret Woods, includes a boardwalk overlooking the New River, and assorted other nature walks, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach 33312, 954-357-8884, free entry & free parking, read feature
Information about Broward Parks is online. For some parks, weekend & holiday fees are $1.50 per person.
Information about Florida State Parks is online. Fees for Florida State Parks apply.
Featured image/Broward Parks department
Read Other Features