Opportunities are offered for folks who want to pitch in with protecting and improving waterways, parks and other natural areas in South Florida.
Volunteers are appreciated for events that include picking up plastic litter along shorelines and reefs and enhancing landscaping in public parks. In addition to protecting the planet, your effort often racks up service hours, such as required service hours for high school students.
Events are especially plentiful September 18, when South Florida organizations participate in an international initiative to remove debris from waterways.
Often events require participants to register prior to the project. For some events equipment is provided. For others, provide your own.
It’s always wise to
- wear closed shoes instead of flip flops
- supply your own water, hat, gloves, sunscreen & insect repellent
- Family Eco-Action Volunteer Workday, occasional events, Secret Woods, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach 33312, 954-357-8884, free, pre-registration required
- Markham Park Butterfly Garden clean-ups, usually 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. second Saturdays, 16001 W State Road 84, Sunrise 33326; 954-357-8868, phone for verification
- International Coastal Cleanup Day events, including events in South Florida, September 18
- Fort Lauderdale Beach Sweep, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. September 25 & other occasional events, HUB, 300 S. Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Las Olas & The Ocean, email firstname.lastname@example.org, volunteer parking until noon is on the third floor of Las Olas Garage, 200 Las Olas Circle, Fort Lauderdale, or volunteers use code 23224 for parking until noon
- Waterway & Shoreline clean-up, September 25 8:15 a.m., kayaks & paddleboards welcome, Preserve Park, 1720 SW 17th Street, Fort Lauderdale 33312, RSVP required, 786-469-9594 or email@example.com
International Coastal Cleanup Day
International Coastal Cleanup Day events, including events in South Florida, September 18
- International Coastal Cleanup in Dania Beach, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. September 18, register online
- Waterway & shoreline event, North Fork of New River, 9 a.m. September 18, limited kayaks available &/or supply your own kayak or paddleboard, park @ 2520 NW Sixth Street, Fort Lauderdale 33311, registration required, email Jhruschka@fortlauderdale.gov
- North Beach Bandshell, Miami Beach,7275 Collins Avenue, 33141, September 18, register online
- Free Our Seas, Marine Environmental Education Center, 4414 North Surf Road, Hollywood 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. September 18, register online
- Phone your favorite Broward park for other volunteer work days
- Florida State Parks volunteer information is online
- Phone your town for volunteer opportunities
- Surfrider Broward
- The Trash Pirates
- Waterway Cleanup
Read Other Features
Register for night hikes & nature walks in Broward, including free events
Outdoor Yoga & Other Exercise, including free & inexpensive workouts