If you’d like ideas for fun that don’t lighten your wallet, plenty of sights, attractions and interesting activities in South Florida are offered for free.
Live entertainment. Unique places for shopping. Free fitness. Nature excursions. Outdoor family-friendly flicks.
It’s always wise to verify an event is on or a venue is open the day you want to attend. For some free things to do, parking is free. For others, parking fees apply.
Featured free events
Surf N Sounds, Fort Lauderdale
The emphasis is on surfing and other water activities at Riverwalk Surf N Sounds 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. September 25. The outdoor event at Esplanade Park, 400 SW Second Street, Fort Lauderdale, includes live entertainment featuring Tasty Vibrations, vendors, and activities.
Entry is free. Parking fees apply.
Latin Music Festival, Miramar
Entry is free for Latin Music Festival 7 p.m. September 25, in recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month.
Festivities are at Miramar Amphitheater, 16801 Miramar Parkway. Register online.
- Ramon Orlando
- Edward Mena
- Charlie Zaa
Mask-wearing is encouraged. Vaccines are offered on site.
Hollywood Beach Bandshell
Popular oceanside venue for enjoying local live entertainment usually 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. Wednesdays – Sundays at Hollywood Beach Bandshell, right off Johnson Street. The entertainment is free. Beach parking fees apply. Read feature Free live entertainment at Hollywood Beach bandshell
Free Art Exhibits & Attractions
- Downtown Hollywood Mural Project includes about 28 vibrant paintings on the exterior of structures. Slip on sneakers and enjoy the art, enhancing the experience with information online or via an App. Touring the artwork is free. Fees may apply for parking. Read feature
- FAT Village Arts District Open House & Art Walk events, usually fourth or fifth Saturdays, including September 25, 521 NW 1st Avenue, Fort Lauderdale 33301, 954-760-5900, read feature or 754-800-1640
- First Thursdays — Free entry 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. first Thursdays of most months at NSU Art Museum in Fort Lauderdale, One East Las Olas Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale 33301, 954-525-5500, website — we recommend phoning or verifying online the event is occuring the day you want to attend
- Free entry for Coral Springs Museum of Art, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays, Fridays & Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays, 2855A Coral Springs Drive, Coral Springs 33065, 954-340-5000, website
- Free entry for Plantation Historical Museum features vintage fire truck & other exhibits Tuesdays – Saturdays
- Free to enjoy Public Art display “Walking Sticks With Stories To Tell” Northwest 27th Avenue and Northwest Sixth Street in the Sistrunk neighborhood of Fort Lauderdale, Description: “…vividly hued freestanding sculptures that reflect the West African traditions of the linguist staff, ornamental hairpin, Adinkra symbols and kente cloth colors, Walking Sticks with Stories to Tell embraces the rich cultural heritage of West Africa…”
- Stonewall National Museum, 1300 E. Sunrise Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, website 954-763-8565, free entry, venue features exhibits & events on LGBTQ themes
- Free entry day @ Art & Culture Center of Hollywood, 1650 Harrison St., Hollywood 954-921-3274, free entry day is usually third Sundays. Free entry includes art exhibits and often a family-friendly hands-on art project or activity. It’s wise to phone first & verify, website
- Downtown Hollywood ArtWalk events, which are usually third Saturdays, include outdoor vendors, entertainment & artist Daniel Pontet painting with his foot, read feature
More free live entertainment
Gulfstream Park Village
Gulfstream Park Village, shopping, dining & entertainment plaza, features free live music, usually 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. Fridays & Saturdays, 901 S. Federal Highway, Hallandale Beach 33009, read feature
Carter Park Jamz
Free Events usually 7 p.m.-10 p.m. Third Fridays June – October, 1450 W. Sunrise Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale 33311
For other events, read Live entertainment in Broward
Free outdoor movies
Free family-friendly films outdoors in ArtsPark on Hollywood Boulevard and Federal Highway in Hollywood, bring lawn chair or blanket, movies are usually 8 p.m. Fridays, read feature
Reserve free tickets online for outdoor films at Las Olas Oceanside Park, 3000 E Las Olas Blvd,, Fort Lauderdale 33316
- September 24 “La La Land”
Unique shopping excursions — even if you are only looking
- ArtServe gift shop features pieces from South Florida artists & artisans,1350 E. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, 954-462-8190
- Swap Shop, with flea market, drive-in theater & Ferrari museum, 3291 W. Sunrise Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale 33311, 954-791-7927, information online
- SistrunKollective co-op boutique featuring items form local artisans & entrepreneurs, in Sistrunk Marketplace, 115 NW 6th Street, Fort Lauderdale, website
- Flamingo Gardens gift shop, includes peacock, flamingo & other nature & animal decorative & fun items, old-fashioned candy, 3750 S. Flamingo Road, Davie 33330, 954-473-2955, website,
- Wiener Museum of Decorative Arts WMODA gift shop features jewelry, home decor and work from South Florida artists and other artists, 481 South Federal Highway, Dania Beach 33004, 954-376-6690
- Bonnet House gift shop, 900 N. Birch Road, Fort Lauderdale, 954-563-5393, includes decor items, sunglasses, purses, jewelry, & other items, website
- Farmers markets & flea markets in Broward
Nature & Scenic Venues
- Fern Forest, features several nature paths, including its elevated boardwalk into cypress/maple swamp, 201 Lyons Road South, Coconut Creek 33063, 954-357-5198, read our feature Nature Trails & Free Entry at Fern Forest in North Broward, free entry & free parking
- Secret Woods, includes a boardwalk overlooking the New River, and assorted other nature walks, 2701 W. State Road 84, Dania Beach 33312, 954-357-8884, free entry & free parking, read feature
- TY Park in Hollywood, includes tennis, picnic tables & a 2-mile paved path — primarily around a lake — for walking, running, biking & skateboarding, 3300 N. Park Road, Hollywood 33021, 954-357-8811, read feature TY Park in Hollywood is lovely venue for outdoor exercise & relaxation, free entry offered on week days, $1.50 on holidays & weekends
- Hollywood Beach Broadwalk — lovely 2.5-mile length between waves rolling ashore and shops, hotels & restaurants
- Fort Lauderdale Riverwalk — delightful stretch along the New River from about Southwest Fifth Street east toward Federal Highway, incorporating Esplanade Park, read our feature Riverwalk in Fort Lauderdale offers scenic setting for walks & outdoor recreation
- Read about other Broward Parks
- Deerfield Beach Arboretum, Features native and exotic trees and plants from around the world. Includes flowering tropical trees, palms, wetlands and others, 2841 W. Hillsboro Boulevard, Deerfield Beach 33442, 954-480-4494, free entry
- Fort Lauderdale Riverwalk — delightful stretch along the New River from about Southwest Fifth Street east toward Federal Highway, incorporating Esplanade Park, read feature
- Read Gardens & forests in Broward
- Read Register for night hikes & nature walks in Broward, including free events
Free surf, paddleboard & skimboard lessons in Deerfield
Island Water Sports offers free lessons 7 a.m. Saturdays. Participants need to pre-register online or via phone. Read feature
Rivewalk Water Trolley ferries riders to 8 points along scenic New River. It’s free. Read feature
Read Other Features
- Play trivia at restaurants & bars in Broward
- Bike routes & bike resources in Broward, lots are free
- Outdoor Yoga & Other Exercise