When kids are out of school on summer break, parents in South Florida appreciate ideas for fun things to do. Especially, if those activities are free. Or offered at a discount.
We’re pleased to offer some nifty suggestions.
Free things to do
- Free kids’ movies at Paragon theater in Davie, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in summer
- Free family-friendly movies in Pembroke Pines most Saturdays in summer
- Register for Kids Bowl Free programs in Sunrise & Tamarac
- Free outdoor movies in Pompano Beach third Friday of most months
- Free family-friendly movies in Hollywood most Fridays
- Broward libraries. In addition to access to free movies, video games and books, library branches offer a wealth of free activities and entertainment, such as dance parties, art projects and Lego fun. Noteworthy features include online access to books and movies, free food programs and Creation Station. Read about Broward libraries on the website.
- Broward parks offer playgrounds, nature hikes, nature exhibits, bike paths, boat rentals, basketball courts, water parks and other amenities. Browse the website for events, activities and features that interest your family. Broward Parks and nature centers are typically free on week days, and some are also free on weekends. For those with fees, the weekend and holiday price is $1.50 for guests ages 6 and older. Some activities and amenities are free, others, such as waterparks, involve in an extra fee.
- Funtastic Fridays are free family-friendly events 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. most Fridays at ArtsPark in Hollywood, featuring entertainment and activities such as a bounce house, face painting and games. At 8 p.m. most Fridays, family-friendly films are free at the park. ArtsPark is at Hollywood Boulevard at U.S. 1, 954-921-3500
- Free surf, skimboard and paddleboard lessons in Deerfield Beach most Saturdays
- Kids build free LEGO project at LEGO stores in Sunrise & Aventura first Tuesdays and Wednesdays of the month
Inexpensive things to do & deals
- $1 kid flicks this summer at Regal theaters in South Florida
- Davie theater offers summer kids’ movies for $1, or $5 for 10 movies
- Discounts at 2 movie theaters in Broward Tuesdays
- Groupon deals for kids’ activities in South Florida
- 2-for-1 summer deals for attractions, activities, restaurants & more in Broward
- Kids eat free deals Tuesdays & Wednesdays at restaurants in South Florida
- Kids-eat-free deal week days at Ikea in Sunrise
- 6 deals for trampoline fun & indoor activities in South Florida
- Tri-Rail in South Florida offers $5 all-day fares on weekends, free for kids ages 4 and younger
Other family-friendly and budget-friendly things to do
- Free music performances Fridays at Fort Lauderdale beach, March to November
- Bands perform at free Starlight Musicals events Fridays in Fort Lauderdale to August 5
- Free live music performances outdoors in Hollywood most Saturdays
- Free events with food trucks in Broward, including week nights
- Free live music performances at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach most Saturdays and Sundays
- Open-air bandshell on Hollywood beach offers free music performances, weekends and some week nights
- Free entry to ArtServe art gallery in Fort Lauderdale